Rear hub felt rings/seal for a 1930 12/4 Eton

Servicing, Repairs & Restoration for your Austins.
Malcolm16

Rear hub felt rings/seal for a 1930 12/4 Eton

Post by Malcolm16 »

Having changed the rear hub oil seal (felt rings) on my 12/4 and I noticed that there is wear on the hub which the felt ring fits over. Having soaked the felt ring in tallow for several days the rear axle oil is still seeping into the rear brake drums so much so it is contaminating the rear brake linings (three wheel braking in the wet on Surrey Councils un-kept roads is quite exciting). On closer inspection there is considerable wear on the shaft where the felt ring slides over presumably through age - allowing oil to leak through into the drum. I notice that there is a drain hole at the bottom edge of the brake drum rear plate which is clear.
I have been told that there are now sleeves available that provide a better fit for the felt seal thus stopping the rear oil leak -- Can anyone advise me where I can source one of these items and do they work?
Austin-App73-77

Re: Rear hub felt rings/seal for a 1930 12/4 Eton

Post by Austin-App73-77 »

Your best bet is a quick chat with Tony Smallbone - his number is on the website.
Can you post a picture of the worn part?
Measure twice -Cut once!
Humphrey47

Post by Humphrey47 »

Are these the sleeves you are thinking of?
https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Produ ... tml?page=1
A bearing that has caused a worn axle casing may be the real problem. Unfortunately it will need a strip down, welding and re - machining.
Humphrey47

Post by Humphrey47 »

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Engin ... index.html
This is the correct size for the seal, but until you can check the rear axle casing, welding may be needed to rebuild the surfaces and the seal could be done the same way. The seal surface should measure 2.875" and the bearing is 60mm dia.
Humphrey47

Post by Humphrey47 »

I just put a new large bearing in a front hub. It was sealed so I threw out the leather seal. The rears could benefit the same. The bearing is 60mm x 110 x 20 and only cost £12 from Bearingboys.co.uk. Much cheaper than new seals and repairs - no maintenance either. Happy days.