New owner need help with REAL BASICS

Servicing, Repairs & Restoration for your Austins.
No clue

New owner need help with REAL BASICS

Post by No clue »

Hello All,

New members Heather & JP here.

We have unexpectedly become owners of a 1931 16/6 Burnham Saloon.
We don't know when it last ran, we just know that it HAS run. It's kept in a dry garage (boiler is also in there so it's 'warm' (or at least not cold) so here may be a good chance of coaxing SOMETHING out of it.

We are very much in need of help with the really basic stuff...
How do we start it?
What sort of preparations should we make before starting it? (I'm sure I overheard the the term 'autovac' awhile back, will this need priming or something like that?)
What fuel should be in it and any additives?
Can we use jump leads or a modern car battery to check it or do we need to charge the two (new-ish looking) 'classic car' batteries?

Anything else we might need to know?
The vehicle is 5 and a half hours drive away from us (on a good day) and we can't dedicate alot of time to this (there are alot of other things that we have unexpectedly become responsible for too) so we're only talking about getting a bit of a handle on this rather than immersing ourselves in it.

All we want at at the moment is to know that it tuns over and/or starts... and that we can move it out of the garage and (perhaps more importantly) back in again.

Would there perhaps be a case for having a topic pinned for this sort of info?

All advice much appreciated..

Many thanks in advance..

JP & H
Austin-App73-77

Re: New owner need help with REAL BASICS

Post by Austin-App73-77 »

Welcome to Austin ownership & to the VAR.

Where about in the country is the car?

If it’s reasonably local I would be more than happy to come and have a look and give you answers to your questions and hopefully get it to start.

I work for the Heritage Skills Academy where we teach vintage car restoration to apprentices and I also own 2 Austin 12/4s and a 16/6 Burnham Saloon so I’m sure we can sort it out.

Hope this helps

Rob Lewis
media-moderator@vintage-austin.co.uk
Media-moderator for the VAR
Measure twice -Cut once!
No clue

Post by No clue »

Hello, and thanks for responding.
The car is currently in deepest, darkest Cornwall (Truro-ish area) at the moment.

If you work at the Heritage Skills Academy I assume you're in the Weybridge or Bicester area? So Cornwall would probably be somewhat out of your way (as it is for many I think :D)

JP
Media-Moderator
Site Admin

Post by Media-Moderator »

I will be in Mawgen Porth NYE and on the 1st & 2nd of Jan if that’s any help.
I live on the Cotswolds so nearest to the Bicester Site but I travel around visiting the apprentices at their workplace’s too.
Rob Lewis
John Wade

Post by John Wade »

Couple of basics.! Six-cylinder engines prone to slip timing. Due to worn timing chain.
Good news if this was reason for laying car up. Easy to rectify. Check for sticky valves.
Renew points, rotor arm etc.
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Hi no clue,
I am up near Callington, with a little bit more than no clue, plus I know a few others that do have a clue. Cheers