Kingpin Removal

Servicing, Repairs & Restoration for your Austins.
Austin-App73-77

Kingpin Removal

Post by Austin-App73-77 »

I am trying to remove the kingpins from my 1928 12/4 which have not been touched since before 1961 - it's the basket case restoration recently shown in the last 2 magazines.
I am looking for guidance on how to remove the kingpins for replacement if required after inspection.
Any advise would be apreciated.
Measure twice -Cut once!
Austin-App73-77

Re: Kingpin Removal

Post by Austin-App73-77 »

I have now successfully removed both King Pins, but only after removing the 2 steering arms on the drivers side and 1 on the passengers side to allow the back plate to move out of the way by sliding it over the axle towards the springs.
These 3 steering arms were a problem due to the heads on all 3 had corroded very badly so I could not use a spanner or socket - I heated each nut op with oxy-propane then used a large chisel and lump hammer to get them moving. Once there were out of the way the backplate could be moved allowing the kingpin with its brake lever bracket to be drifted out again with a big punch and lump hammer.
Now to start cleaning and inspecting all the parts for wear before blasting, painting and refitting to the axle.
Measure twice -Cut once!