Oils

Servicing, Repairs & Restoration for your Austins.
Malcolm Durnford

Oils

Post by Malcolm Durnford »

Hi
I am new to 12/4 ownership and am currently completing the purchase of a 1928 Austin 12/4 from a lovely couple on the Isle of Wight.

Can I please ask if there are any specific recommendations on oil types for the engine, gearbox, back axle and steering box. Also any specific grease for the various greasing points?

Finally any recommendations regarding spark plugs and tyre pressures?

With many thanks
Malcolm
Shortstroke

Re: Oils

Post by Shortstroke »

Regarding oils for your car, opinions differ from person to person, but speaking for myself the oils I use are as follows. Engine, I use morrises low detergent 20/50 and change it yearly, if you have just bought the car I would change all the oils straight away unless you know the service history and remove the sump to check for muck and clean it out, together with the filter. Gearbox S.A.E. 40 or 50 engine oil, rear axle and steering box Morrises 250 grade gear oil. Grease, any multi purpose. Spark plugs, I use N.G.K. AB6 or champion D16 both as good as each other in my experience. Tyre pressures you can play about with depending on brand, mine are 28 front 30/32 rear. As I say this is what I use and am happy with. Best of luck and welcome to the joys of Austin motoring!

One other tip which I omitted to mention is, when greasing the king pins, do so very sparingly because if you just pump it in, it gets all over the brake shoes!
Last edited by Shortstroke on Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm Durnford

Hi
Many thanks for the helpful reply
Bultaco

Post by Bultaco »

Hello,
I am also a newish owner of a 16/6 and need to change all the oils . Live in Aberdeenshire. Unfortunately the local Morris distributor is very unhelpful and a drama to get oil for me, could someone recommend another suitable brand please.

Thanks
Les
Malcolm Durnford

Hi
Both Penrite and Millers are good. These are the oils they recommended for my 12/4:

Engine: Shelsley light? Vintage Millers oil SAE40
Gearbox: Penrite gearbox GB40
Vintage Millers oil SAE40
Differential: Penrite Transoil 140
Millers Classic Gear Oil EP140
Steering box: Penrite Liquid Grease
Millers Vintage Worm Steering Box Oil
Malcolm Durnford

Hi
Both Penrite and Millers are good. These are the oils they recommended for my 12/4:

Engine: Shelsley light? Vintage Millers oil SAE40
Gearbox: Penrite gearbox GB40
Vintage Millers oil SAE40
Differential: Penrite Transoil 140
Millers Classic Gear Oil EP140
Steering box: Penrite Liquid Grease
Millers Vintage Worm Steering Box Oil