ANTI FREEZE

Servicing, Repairs & Restoration for your Austins.
Mike01

ANTI FREEZE

Post by Mike01 »

Its about -2c outside at the moment and the thoughts turn to ANTI FREEZE.

I am aware that some members are not happy about using antifreeze in their Austins, and prefer to drain off the system when laying up for winter.
If you are a antifreze user then its as well to remember that you should use the blue type. Bluecol and the like. This is suitable for our type of engine.
I have always worked on the premise that buying the best you can get will avoid problems, but I am not so sure.

Does any one have any experience as to the best antifreeze to use? and are their inhibitors in the solution beneficial to the engine block?
Any information would be gratefully received.
Mike E
Arabella_12

Re: ANTI FREEZE

Post by Arabella_12 »

Hi - I read in one of the mags that the blue antifreeze is best for our cars: it should also be better than none, as it is supposed to stop corroding of non-ferrous parts, eg the water pump body, which sounds useful!

If you are draining down, remember the little tap under the carb in 12/4s: I recommend taking it out wholesale, and rodding with wire, as it can easily get blocked. Before replacing it, no harm to flush through with more wire-rodding: if the block hasn't been off for a while, you'll be amazed what comes out!
drocke

Post by drocke »

For once it's hard to beat Halfords blue. The main thing to ensure is that you pick an IAT (inorganic Acid Tecnology) based product. The Halfords one is silicate based. Modern OAT and HAT anti freezes go for lead solder and other metals found in vintage cars which is not good news.
Modern anti freeze lasts for 5 years plus but IAT ones need changing every two years at best as the anti corrosion additives loose their effectiveness. I agree it's surprising how much grunge comes out of the block with a good flushing!
There are a number of separate anticorrosion additives around but I would want to be assured that they were safe to use with the materials found in the engine cooling system before I added one. Just keeping the radiator full to exclude air is worth doing.

David
Martin27

Post by Martin27 »

Yes I've used halfotds blue (actually made for halfords by comma) but when I tried to buy some in october I was told they don't do the 5litre concentrate any more. You can buy it ready diluted but that seems an expensive way to buy water or otherwise in small bottles. You will need several of those for a vintage Austin engine.

I ended up buying genuine Bluecol (now made by Tetrosyl to the original mixed metals formula, rather than Smiths) from Amazon. 5litre bottles post free and cheaper than halfords.

I, for one, would recommend antifreeze to get the benefit of corrosion inhibitors. Draining is OK for frost protection but still leaves the inside of the water jacket wet, and the presence of air then promotes corrosion.

Martin
Fabric16Six

Post by Fabric16Six »

The following link is a worthwhile read about antifreeze in older vehicles.
Note that you can no longer rely on the colour of antifreeze as to its content. Blue is not always blue!

http://derekharris.com/pdfs/Antifreeze% ... 9%20V8.pdf

I have been using the recommended Fernox Alphi-11 product for several years now in all my cars and currently (Jan 2017) buy it from Travis Perkins builders merchants, £24 for 5 litres, despite the fact they and others advertise it for a lot more.

Chris Martin
alvisspeed20

Post by alvisspeed20 »

Yes Fernox Alpha 11 is the best solution. I have used it for more than 10 years in all prewar cars. Well researched by Rolls Royce people and others. Seems to have zero creeping properties ie does not encourage leaks. Its very kind to aluminium, copper, bronze etc.

Mike Wheadon