Spark Plugs

Servicing, Repairs & Restoration for your Austins.
Pickles

Spark Plugs

Post by Pickles »

Can anyone give me advice on what type/ part number of spark plug to use in my 1927 12/4 Heavy?
Shortstroke

Re: Spark Plugs

Post by Shortstroke »

NGK AB6 or champion D16 are about all you can get nowadays.
Martin27

Post by Martin27 »

When I took custody of my 20/4 in 2007 it came fitted with a set of NGK AB6. In the box of spares that came with the car was a full box of AB6's. It seemed to run OK initially but after a few miles I was plagued with an intermittent misfire and poor running at idle. I could not find anything wrong but in desperation tried a new set of AB6's. This cured the misfire but about 1000miles later the misfire returned. Another new set of AB6's and the story repeats.

I then fitted a set of Champion D16. 5000miles later the car is running well but the plugs are a bit sooty. D16's are the normally recommended plug and NGK are supposed to be equivalent but my car does not run well on the NGK's. So next I tried Champion D21. I have now run 25000miles on the D21's, the car runs well on these and the plugs stay clean.

I conclude that although D16 is the normal recommendation, the ethanol content of modern fuel results in a lower combustion temperature, therefore needing a "hotter" plug. Of course others may disagree!

PS
I had a conversation with a friend with a Seven who also had problems with sooty plugs and persuaded him to try D21. It cured his sooty plug problem.

Best Regards
Martin
Pickles

Post by Pickles »

Shortstroke wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:59 am NGK AB6 or champion D16 are about all you can get nowadays.
Thank you for the information. Much appreciated
Pickles

Post by Pickles »

Martin27 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:39 pm When I took custody of my 20/4 in 2007 it came fitted with a set of NGK AB6. In the box of spares that came with the car was a full box of AB6's. It seemed to run OK initially but after a few miles I was plagued with an intermittent misfire and poor running at idle. I could not find anything wrong but in desperation tried a new set of AB6's. This cured the misfire but about 1000miles later the misfire returned. Another new set of AB6's and the story repeats.

I then fitted a set of Champion D16. 5000miles later the car is running well but the plugs are a bit sooty. D16's are the normally recommended plug and NGK are supposed to be equivalent but my car does not run well on the NGK's. So next I tried Champion D21. I have now run 25000miles on the D21's, the car runs well on these and the plugs stay clean.

I conclude that although D16 is the normal recommendation, the ethanol content of modern fuel results in a lower combustion temperature, therefore needing a "hotter" plug. Of course others may disagree!

PS
I had a conversation with a friend with a Seven who also had problems with sooty plugs and persuaded him to try D21. It cured his sooty plug problem.

Best Regards
Martin
Thank you Martin, information is very useful. I think I'll go with the Champion D21's.