head lights

Servicing, Repairs & Restoration for your Austins.
Mikeg7210 _+[]

head lights

Post by Mikeg7210 _+[] »

I recently need to take my 1927 Heavy 12/4 out in the dark.I knew what to expect and was not disappointed as the lights are useless in modern day traffic.This set me wondering if anybody has experience of fitting LED lights.I know they have been successfully fitted to Rileys and can be quite fiddly as the bulb holder requires modification to achieve the correct focal length otherwise illumination will be no better.
Anybody out there with experience of LED's?
Martin27

Post by Martin27 »

Hello Mike
Having been followed by two or three cars using these things I have to conclude they are TERRIBLE. Perhaps I should consider fitting a driver controlled blind to the rear window! They don't give a properly focused beam pattern, just a general flood of extremely bright light no matter how you adjust the focus. To work properly a parabolic reflector needs a single point source of light, something not possible with the currently available LEDs. The light source is just too big resulting in the inability to achieve a proper focus. The people selling these things will no doubt tell you different but this is my experience.

My advice would be to make sure your reflectors are good, replate with silver if necessary (yes I know it's expensive), the lenses are clean and most importantly you have the full 12volts (nearer 14.8 with engine running) at the bulbs.

Best Regards
Martin
Mikeg7210 _+[]

Re: head lights

Post by Mikeg7210 _+[] »

Thank you Martin,you raise an interesting point.I wonder if it is worth pursuing this idea as I very rarely take her out at night.
Awini

Post by Awini »

I only have one correct Lucas headlamp for the car so I have a pair of Marshals fitted, apparently off a Bugatti that was scrapped in the 40s or 50s! They work very well.
Attachments
20190105_025748.jpg
20190105_025748.jpg (316.57 KiB) Viewed 5784 times
Zeid

Post by Zeid »

My advice is to forget LED's. I do most of my driving at night in the London area in a 1927 Austin with a 6 volt system using the original Lucas headlamps (35 W bulbs). I have no problems. In well-lit streets I do not use head lamps, only the side lights (3 W bulbs) & rear lights (5 or 6 W bulbs); most satisfactory.