Cylinder head torque settings 12/4

Servicing, Repairs & Restoration for your Austins.
Ian taxi smith

Cylinder head torque settings 12/4

Post by Ian taxi smith »

I have had to change the head gasket on my 12/4. In the service manual I am unable find the torque setting and the order that should be tightened.
Any help most appreciated
Thanks
Martin27

Re: Cylinder head torque settings 12/4

Post by Martin27 »

Hello Ian
By "service manual" I take it you mean the flash drive available from VAR containing information collected from various sources.

This subject has been done before but without total agreement. See the post currently 18 posts down in the technical section titled Torque Settings. The fact is there were very few torque wrenches in general use during the time our cars were made and so as far as I know The Austin Motor Co. didn't issue any torque figures. As has been said in a previous post "a good man with a 12inch spanner".

As to order of tightening, a suggested order was published in The Austin Service Journals (see Ken Davies for copies). This was to start in the middle and spiral outwards clockwise. However, doing it this way I find it all too easy to miss one so I start at one end and work towards the other. Go over the nuts several times increasing the torque in small increments. It works for me!

Best of luck with the gasket.
Martin
Arabella_12

Re: Cylinder head torque settings 12/4

Post by Arabella_12 »

Hi Ian - I usually tighten by the 'Union Jack' method: i.e. Start with stud in the middle, then middle each end, then corners (jumping from end to end). Basically spread the load as if the head was a flexible object - and don't tighten each nut once only.

I may have said this before, but having had my head skimmed, I belatedly had top and bottom of the block skimmed - result, much better oil-tightness, and better compression. That old metal moves after 90 years - high points round each stud.

I torque to 36lb/ft - works on my Riley Nine, which has higher compression and smaller studs. Alternatively, 'Tighten up till it strips, then back off half a turn...'!