H&TV Door lock

Servicing, Repairs & Restoration for your Austins.
Fabric16Six

H&TV Door lock

Post by Fabric16Six »

My 1929 Fabric bodied 16/6 has an H&TV lock on the driver’s door. Anyone know where I could get a key for it? I can’t get one cut as I don’t have a key that fits. Also can anyone tell me how to remove the lock barrel? Unscrewing a small grub screw next to the lock-bolt seems to allow the barrel to rotate only. Maybe the lock-bolt needs to be in the locked position to remove the barrel - but I can’t operate the lock without a key! Any ideas welcome.

Chris Martin
Martin27

Re: H&TV Door lock

Post by Martin27 »

Yes, you're right. You can't remove the barrel unless you have a key. A catch 22 situation. This is, of course, an intended security feature. The Yale version is exactly the same.

Assuming you really don't want to carve great lumps of wood out of the door you need the services of a good locksmith, the sort of person with the tools and skill to pick the lock. Once the lock barrel is out, producing a key would be relatively easy for said locksmith. If you were local to me I would highly recommend the man at Barnsley Lock and Safe but there must be many others around the country who can do this.

An alternative, which I would not recommend but better than cutting the door, since I believe this pattern of barrel is still manufactured would be to drill the lock. Preserving original parts is a much better course of action.

Please let us know how you get on.
Martin (KO 870)