1925 Twenty/4 Dynamo drive

Servicing, Repairs & Restoration for your Austins.
Ben Wall

1925 Twenty/4 Dynamo drive

Post by Ben Wall »

Can anybody advise me please as to whether or not I can run the engine with the dynamo removed. I have removed same and sent it away for a refurb but would like to use the car in the meantime. I appreciate that there will be electrical limitations, which I reckon I can overcome by carrying spare batteries, but I cannot see from the parts list whether the drive shaft (CEP75 on page 33) is adequately supported or whether it will get spat out and cause all sorts of problems.
Any advice would be very gratefully accepted
Cheers Ben
Martin27

Re: 1925 Twenty/4 Dynamo drive

Post by Martin27 »

Hello Ben
The dynamo drive shaft is supported by ball bearings at each end within the timing case. The engine will run quite happily with the dynamo removed, in fact I ran mine for several weeks whilst I did the same job. Just check that the bearings are in reasonable order by pulling/pushing the fan drive pulley. There will be considerable backlash as there is no provision for chain tension adjustment but there should be next to no play detectable in the bearings.

In my case I found the bearings had seized and the shaft had been turning in the bearing inner race resulting in a badly worn shaft. Fortunately the bearings are a standard imperial size and the shafts are the same as 12/4 and in stock at VAR stores.

You probably already know this, but provided you leave the ignition switch on 'Magneto' NOT 'Dynamo' the disconnected wires from the dynamo will stay "dead" but I would insulate them just to make sure.

Hope this helps
Martin
Ben Wall

Re: 1925 Twenty/4 Dynamo drive

Post by Ben Wall »

Thanks for the info Martin. That is exactly what I was hoping was the case but didnt want to chance it without confirmation. It looks as though I might be running with a spare battery or two for a couple of months.
Best wishes
Ben