Timing

Servicing, Repairs & Restoration for your Austins.
John S Bradley

Timing

Post by John S Bradley »

Having recently purchased the Manual form the club I set about timing my engine following the instructions . Whatever I did it would not start , so trying to remember what I did 10/15 yrs ago I removed the priming tap on number 1 and my son turned the engine until I found topdead centre. Upon checking the flywheel NOT 1/4 were at the top but 2/3 . It started the second time. To save time I will always check that the flywheel indications agree with the the cylinders , be it austin or other.
Martin27

Re: Timing

Post by Martin27 »

Hello John
If the flywheel is keyed to the crank as normal this should never happen. Just a thought, were you looking at the marks on the flywheel itself or the clutch cover? Both carry the same marks. If the cover has been replaced 180 degs. out --------------
Regards
Martin
John S Bradley

Re: Timing

Post by John S Bradley »

Thanks for that information , I didn't realise the clutch cover had the same marks on it but I could only see one set of marks through the small hole in the bell housing.I was unable to see the teeth on the flywheel. A spare gearbox I have does have a much larger hole in the bell housing , I never thought at the time .Hey ho.