Upper Cylinder Lubricant

Servicing, Repairs & Restoration for your Austins.
Mikeg7210 _+[]

Upper Cylinder Lubricant

Post by Mikeg7210 _+[] »

Does anybody know of a supplier of UPCL upper cylinder lubricant
My supplies are all used.Failing that which upcl do you use.I tried a Halfords product but it is just like water and although it claims to do the job it promotes itself more as a fuel system cleaner.
Any ideas welcomed
Mike Gibson
Humphrey47

Re: Upper Cylinder Lubricant

Post by Humphrey47 »

I have never used the stuff since Redex was sold on the forecourt, but you could try two stroke oil. Readily available.
Mikeg7210 _+[]

Post by Mikeg7210 _+[] »

Humphrey, that's a good idea, why didn't I think of it,plenty in the garage, thank you
alvisspeed20

Post by alvisspeed20 »

When using Two Stroke oil it must be a mineral based product and not synthetic Best ratio seems to be 5ml per litre of petrol.
Much testing has been carried out by members of the STD register. I my case using the above ratio in a low compression side valve engine I have benefited from a noticeable increase in pulling power and a measurable decrease in exhaust manifold temperature. With the slow burn rate of modern fuel this additive is helping to ensure more of the burn take place in the cylinder. The very best thing I have achieved in years

Mike Wheadon
Humphrey47

Post by Humphrey47 »

Interesting result. I am making my own pisions for my 16/6 and have been reading about thinner rings which can be less than a mm thick. One oil ring is now considered standard as there is no vertical play due to the expander ring thus avoiding "pumping". The main reason of all this is to avoid friction often using chrome faced rings. Perhaps this advance in technology may be due to the lack of lubrication and/or lead in modern petrol.
Arabella_12

Post by Arabella_12 »

Interested in this, as my (rather motley) collection of exhaust valves on the 12/4 show a build-up of gummy stuff on the stems: an oil expert said he'd heard of this on other cars, and suggested that 2-stroke oil could help clean it off (or stop the delayed burn that causes it?) Now I know the right mix, will definitely try it some more
!