12/4 Starter Motor

Servicing, Repairs & Restoration for your Austins.
Austin-App73-77

12/4 Starter Motor

Post by Austin-App73-77 »

Has any one fitted a modern high power Starter Motor to to a Heavy 12/4 ?
I will be needing one soon for my restoration project and just found this website supplying replacement starter motors.

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/ ... tegory/249

They do look good.
Measure twice -Cut once!
martyngriff

Re: 12/4 Starter Motor

Post by martyngriff »

As many will know 12/4 starter motors are in very short supply so if this does the job that's great. I have dealt with this company and they seem very professional but the only bits I have purchased are small electrical items.
austinately

Post by austinately »

Although from a while ago, I thought it worth replying for anyone else in need of a new starter motor to say that I bought one of these for the Open Road Tourer I recently bought, registered January 27. The new starter fitted exactly and was installed in about 15 minutes. The core of the unit is a Japanese Denso motor with an adjustable plate to fit the Austin. Hopefully it will last well. Given the price of rewinding armatures and field windings, plus the off the shelf availability, the cost of the new unit seems not too unreasonable.

The failure in the original motor is due to the Bendix weight on the pinion coming adrift from the pinion, otherwise the motor is in good order so I hope some day to find a decent pinion and return it to a useful condition.
Neil McL

Re: 12/4 Starter Motor - Bendix Parts

Post by Neil McL »

I contacted the UK’s Model T Ford Register a couple of years back to try to find Bendix parts for the starter motor on my 1926 Austin 12 that are not supplied by VAR Spares. They said that TService.co.uk are the authorised UK importer for Mac’s Antique Auto Parts in America who sell Bendix bolts (with their non-standard threads) and washers. They appear to supply other Bendix parts including the: Drive Gear, Woodruff Key, Head, Head Sleeve and Collar Pin & Spring (for the Model T, indicating an era of 1919-1927).

MacsAutoparts.com/ford_model_t/model-t-starter-drive-bendix-bolt-and-washer-set-1919-1927.html
NotGumdrop

Post by NotGumdrop »

Is anyone currently looking for a 12 v CAV starter, I have a rebuilt one.