Water pump failure

Servicing, Repairs & Restoration for your Austins.
bayliss

Water pump failure

Post by bayliss »

My recently aquired 16/6 has thrown an early problem for me. Had my first longish drive in warm weather, pulled in at my destination and heard water gurgling from front of car.
Opened bonnet to see the radiator overflow pipe spitting water and steam.Top and bottom radiator hoses both hot. Let it all cool down and topped up radiator with just under a gallon of water (rough estimate). Car has recent engine rebuild, new radiator core and new hoses, no signs of any leakage prior to incident.
Any comment and advise appreciated.
Martin27

Re: Water pump failure

Post by Martin27 »

One possibility would be head gasket. Gas leaking into water. With the radiator full and the engine running, can you see bubbles in the header tank?
I would try a compression test.

Best Regards
Martin
bayliss

Post by bayliss »

Thanks for reply Martin, I will have a look today. I have found a small weep on the top hose where it joins the cylinder head, tiny amount of water though.
drocke

Post by drocke »

Another thing to check is that the cooling water is able to freely circulate through the water passages in the block, and that they are not restricted by a build up of “crud”. I had this problem on my 12/4 heavy, everything fine until under load climbing hills on a warm day. I flushed out the block and an unbelievable amount of debris came out. Now runs at normal temperature even on hot days.
Good luck
David
bayliss

Post by bayliss »

Thank you for all replies.
The small leak from top hose I have now sorted out, emery paper around the cylinder head junction with new clips made an easy fix.
Seems I have an air lock now as top hose gets hot and bottom hose cold. I did by a thermostat for the engine bay but not fitted yet, so a very simple coolant system. The air lock must be causing my engine to gurgle when I turn it off.
No mayo’ to be found in engine oil at all so I think head gasket is OK.

Engine has recent rebuild completed by previous owner, it runs very nicely with no oil burn at all. I have no reason to doubt the engine rebuild was completed. I would say that the water ways would have been cleared at time of rebuild.