No Spark - help!

Servicing, Repairs & Restoration for your Austins.
Logana12

No Spark - help!

Post by Logana12 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:31 pm

Hi all

So my Austin 12/6 does not want to play ball. Before I bought the car I was aware it had a starting issue, but was told it had been fixed when it was delivered to me...

So the problem is that there is no spark getting to the plugs... the car has new spark plugs, a full set of new ht leads and all connectors, a new distributor base plate, new points, new rotor arm, new condenser, new coil and cable to the distributor. Anything else remaining has been cleaned up and has good clean connections.

I can prove power is getting to the distributor but after that I am at a complete loss!!! The engine just turns but does not fire...

Does anyone have any ideas??

Thanks in advance
Brian

Logana12

Re: No Spark - help!

Post by Logana12 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:21 am

So, having started at the beginning and gone through everything again over the weekend, we re-did the points and hey presto, we got a spark. It still wouldn't start, so we drained off the carburettor and tried again, after an extended crank time with the help of another battery it fired into life!!! Yey!!! However.... She is still not starting well when cold.

With a brand new battery (480A) she will not start cold. As soon as I put on another battery in line, she starts (eventually). Once she has been running for 10mins plus and is warmed up, I can switch her off and restart her. She starts instantly!

Any ideas??? Fuel flow? Fuel quality?? Could there be drag in the starter motor when cold? If anyone has experienced this or similar I would very much like to hear your thoughts...

Brian

SimonB

Re: No Spark - help!

Post by SimonB » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:53 pm

Hello Brian,
I've just seen your post. Seems like your sparks are working so I what condition is your carburettor in, any play on the throttle spindle? If all OK are the jet sizes right? Does the choke work? I had my carb overhauled by David Jones (Page 12 in this months mag) and it made all the difference to cold starting as well as general running.
Regards
Simon